Professor and Associate Dean (UTCVM)
Please visit Marcy Souza's College of Veterinary Medicine directory entry for more biographical information.
- Zoonotic & infectious diseases of exotic pets and wildlife
- Pharmacokinetics of medications in exotic species
- Using wildlife as sentinels for human health
- The impact of invasive animal species on native wildlife
- BS - University of Maryland, College Park, MD, May 1995
- DVM - North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, May 2004
- MPH - University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, May 2008
- UTIA International Advisory Committee, March 2016 – present
- Knoxville Animal Control Board, Member, 9/08 – present
- American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine,
- Re-certification Guideline Committee, Member, 10/11 – 3/12
- Credentials Committee, 7/12 – present
- Membership and Outreach Committee, 11/13 - present
- Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges, One Health Committee Member, 12/12 – present
- American Veterinary Medical Association Animal Welfare Committee, Alternate Representative from the Association of Avian Veterinarians, 7/15-7/18
Awards and Recognitions
- Fulbright Specialist Roster, 6/2012 to 6/2017
- Houghton Trust Ltd, International Travel Grant, £650, Awarded 4/2009
- Awarded grant to teach a 2-week course on wild and pet bird medicine at Madras Veterinary College, Tamil Nadu Agriculture and Veterinary Sciences University, Chennai, India (Jan 28 – Feb 11, 2013)
- Awarded grant to teach 2 workshops; one on clinical avian medicine and one on One Health/conservation medicine at Andres Bello University, Santiago, Chile (January 9-26, 2016)
- Public Policy Faculty Fellow, American Association of Veterinary Medical Colleges, 7 week fellowship in Washington, D.C., $10,000, summer 2016
- William T. Miles M.D. Memorial Award for Community Service, UTIA, August 2016
MJ Souza. Bacterial and parasitic zoonoses of exotic pets, Veterinary Clinics of North America – Exotic Animal Practice 12: 401 – 415, 2009.
MJ Souza, EC Ramsay, S Patton, JC New. Baylisascaris procyonis in raccoons (Procyon lotor) in eastern Tennessee, Journal of Wildlife Diseases 45(4): 1231 – 1234, 2009.
MJ Souza. One Health: Zoonoses in the exotic animal practice. Veterinary Clinics of North America – Exotic Animal Practice, 14(3): 421 – 426, 2011
B Lammers, D Bemis, P Colclough, M Souza. Prevalence of Salmonella sp. isolated from Cryptobranchus alleganiensis alleganiensis in eastern Tennessee, Southeastern Naturalist, 11(1):59 – 64; 2012.
WA Hill, GC Petty, PC Erwin, MJ Souza. A survey of Tennessee veterinarian and physician attitudes, knowledge, and practices in zoonoses prevention among animal owners infected with HIV/AIDS. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 240(12):1432 – 1440; 2012.
MJ Souza, MJ Gray, P Colclough, DL Miller. Prevalence of Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis and Ranavirus in eastern hellbenders (Cryptobranchus alleganiensis alleganiensis) in eastern Tenneessee. Journal of Wildlife Diseases, 48(3): 560 – 566, 2012.
MJ Souza, EC Ramsay, R Donnell. Metal accumulation and health effects in raccoons (Procyon lotor) associated with coal fly ash exposure. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 64(4): 529 – 536, 2013. DOI 10.1007/s00244-012-9865-1.
A Schenk, MJ Souza. Presenting complaint and outcome of wildlife presented to a wildlife clinic in east Tennessee, 2001 – 2011. PLOS ONE, 9.3: e93517, 2014
C Meyer, T Schlekat, S Walls, J Iannuzzi, M Souza. Evaluating Risks to Wildlife from Coal Fly Ash Incorporating Recent Advances in Metals Risk Assessment. Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management, 11(1), 67-79, 2015