Skip to content
Photo of piggy bank sitting on a stack of books

Financial Aid

The Department of Public Health endeavors to provide financial support for all its doctoral students, although it is not guaranteed. Students must apply for all forms of funding; they are not provided without submitted applications. We encourage students to apply for multiple forms of financial assistance.

A graduate assistantship is a financial award to a graduate student for part-time work in teaching, administration, or research. The Graduate Assistantship Request Form is available here (PDF). A completed copy should be submitted to the department at the time of submission of the graduate school application or as soon as possible thereafter, no later than April 1. Students will be notified of the graduate assistantship award in May for the following academic year. Assistantships are awarded on a yearly basis, subject to available funding.

General information regarding graduate assistantships is available on the UT Graduate School website. The applicable policies governing graduate assistantships are in the Graduate Catalog.

The department has several types of assistantships available. These include graduate assistant (GA), graduate teaching assistant/associate (GTA), and graduate research assistant (GRA). The work hours are twenty hours per week (excluding organized class time) with a 50 percent appointment, or ten hours per week (excluding organized class time) with a 25 percent appointment.

Work responsibilities of the different assistantships vary, but all provide tuition, maintenance fee, health insurance, and a monthly stipend (paid over twelve months). Salary (stipend) is subject to federal income tax.

The Department of Public Health currently offers the June D. Gorski Scholarship Endowment to students currently enrolled one of our public health programs. More information on this scholarship can be found here.

  • The Office of Research and Engagement’s faculty development team (FDT) has identified many funding opportunities for graduate students and postdocs. Opportunities span the academic fields of science and engineering, humanities, social sciences, as well as opportunities in the Graduate School. More information.
  • The Tennessee Public Health Association (TPHA) offers the Evelyn Vaillencourt Memorial Scholarship for students enrolled in a Tennessee university or college who are pursuing a degree in health education and plan to practice in Tennessee upon graduation.  For more information about this external scholarship and how to apply, please contact TPHA.

General information on financial assistance is available from the University of Tennessee Graduate School website.

Information on funding sources outside the college is available from the financial aid coordinator in the graduate school. Graduate students are encouraged to begin seeking outside funding about a year preceding the academic year for which funding is needed, as some deadline dates are very early. The Graduate Record Examination is required by many funding sources as well as for admission to departmental programs.

Students with graduate assistantships may work a maximum of twenty hours per week within their assistantship responsibilities. While the Department of Public Health recognizes that students may have significant additional financial obligations, additional outside employment for persons receiving an assistantship is strongly discouraged. The department prefers other students (those not receiving assistantships) to be enrolled full time, with only part time outside employment.

As part of dissertation training, the faculty highly recommends students present their research at scientific meetings when possible. Discuss these opportunities with your advisor. In general, partial funding can be arranged for graduate students who travel to meetings to present research or take part in other educational opportunities. Additional information regarding financial assistance for student travel can be found on the Forms page of the College of Education, Heath, and Human Sciences website and on the Graduate Student Senate site.

The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.

Report an accessibility barrier