As a Master of Public Health student at UT, you receive personalized, field-specific career guidance and information through:
- Annual career development workshops
- Specialized resources and a dedicated staff contact from the Center for Career Development
- One-on-one assistance from a public health staff person in exploring options for and finding a field practice opportunity
- Links and resources to give you a head start on planning your career and finding your dream job
Career Development Workshops
A four-part interactive series that prepares current MPH students to find and thrive in rewarding careers.
Every year, the Department of Public Health, in partnership with the UT Center for Career Development, provides MPH students a series of practical, hands-on workshops that develop career skills and connect them with potential employers.
2015–2016 Workshop Schedule
- Understanding Career Options
- How to Search for Jobs
- Tailoring Resume and Cover Letters
- Interview and Job Negotiation
Click here for our pdf flyer.
- “Conversations about Public Health Ethics”
with James Thomas PhD, MPH
April 6, 2016
146C Fred Brown Hall
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Please see our event flyer for more information.
Hear it from your peers!
Here’s what UT MPH students found most valuable from recent career guidance workshops:
- Networking and learning how to find a mentor
- Insight into hiring
- Real-life job search strategies from the alumni panel
- Reading through actual MPH graduates’ resumes/cover letters and then discussing the strengths and weaknesses
- Insight from public health professionals on what they are looking for during the interview process
- How to negotiate salaries
Workshop planning committee members
- Julie Grubaugh, committee chair
- Jennifer Jabson, faculty
- Mary Beth Browder, career specialist
Student committee members, 2015-2016
- William Baillon, HPM
- Kaitlin DeWitt, MS-MPH CHE
- Gabrelle Taylor, CHE
- Jessica Waddell, CHE
- Michelle Wright, CHE
Questions about the workshops? Contact Julie Grubaugh at email@example.com or 865-974-9277.
Get Help from the Center for Career Development
Public health students can get specialized assistance from Mary Beth Browder, career specialist with UT’s Center for Career Development. Students often turn to Mary Beth for help searching for a job, customizing cover letters and resumes, or even practicing interviewing skills.
The Center for Career Development also has a number of helpful links, such as Resume & Interviewing Help. They also host numerous online and live workshops and classes in addition to the MPH Career Guidance Workshops.
Land the Perfect Field Practice Position
Don’t wait until your last semester to get to know Julie and learn how she can help you prepare for your career.
Contact Julie Grubaugh at firstname.lastname@example.org or 865-974-9277.
Links and resrouces
- Professional development resources and information on credentialing from the UT Department of Public Health
- UT Center for Career Development
- Public Health Employment Connection (Emory’s Rollins School of Public Health)—job site updated daily
- UT Doctor of Public Health (DrPH) program