Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue
Photo of piggy bank sitting on a stack of books

Other Funding Opportunities

  • The College of Education, Health and Human Science has several scholarship opportunities open to current students.  Those scholarships can all be applied for using a single form located on the Office of Advising and Student Services website.
  • The Office of Research and Engagement’s faculty development team (FDT) has identified many funding opportunities for graduate students and postdocs. Opportunities span the academic fields of science and engineering, humanities, social sciences, as well as opportunities in the Graduate School. More information.
  • The Tennessee Public Health Association (TPHA) offers the Evelyn Vaillencourt Memorial Scholarship for students enrolled in a Tennessee university or college who are pursuing a degree in health education and plan to practice in Tennessee upon graduation.  For more information about this external scholarship and how to apply, please contact TPHA.
  • The Office of International Education offers the W.K. McClure Scholarship for the Study of World Affairs  which offers funding to support UT undergraduate and graduate research and creative projects abroad aimed at enhancing and promoting education for world responsibility.

General information on financial assistance is available from the University of Tennessee Graduate School website.

Information on funding sources outside the college is available from the financial aid coordinator in the graduate school. Graduate students are encouraged to begin seeking outside funding about a year preceding the academic year for which funding is needed, as some deadline dates are very early. The Graduate Record Examination is required by many funding sources as well as for admission to departmental programs.

Students with graduate assistantships may work a maximum of twenty hours per week within their assistantship responsibilities. While the Department of Public Health recognizes that students may have significant additional financial obligations, additional outside employment for persons receiving an assistantship is strongly discouraged. The department prefers other students (those not receiving assistantships) to be enrolled full time, with only part time outside employment.

As part of dissertation training, the faculty highly recommends students present their research at scientific meetings when possible. Discuss these opportunities with your advisor. In general, partial funding can be arranged for graduate students who travel to meetings to present research or take part in other educational opportunities. Additional information regarding financial assistance for student travel can be found on the Forms page of the College of Education, Heath, and Human Sciences website and on the Graduate Student Senate site.