Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee Mission Statement
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core principles of Public Health and its practice, and so are central to the Department of Public Health at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. The mission of the Department of Public Health’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee is to advance, promote, and support structural, intra- and inter- personal activities, and policies that enhance and strengthen diversity, equity, and inclusion for the department. The Committee strives to support the department in doing whatever work is necessary to ensure that all students, faculty, and staff feel included, welcomed, and have equitable/fair opportunities.
REPORT AN INCIDENT
Have you witnessed or been the recipient of an bias-based incident? Report it now.
This committee engages in activities that:
- cultivate and nurture a departmental environment that enables students, faculty, and staff to feel empowered, valued, respected, and safe.
- promote ideas and events to further the spirit of inclusion, diversity, and equity.
- advocate for policies and practices to recruit, support, and retain students, faculty, and staff with diverse experiences and attributes.
Current Committee Membership:
- Laurie Meschke, Faculty Chair
- Priscilla Pineda, member
- Sara Lyon, member
- Melissa Walker, member
- Channie Cretsinger, member
Examples of sponsored activities:
- Conduct regular meetings every other week
- Provide educational workshops and seminars for departmental members about diversity, equity, and inclusion topics
- Engage in shared learning and thinking about equity, diversity, and inclusion topics in our field and the department
- Conduct climate survey
- Develop and update diversity action plan and statement on racism
Campus Resources for Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion
- Bias Education and Referral
- Commission for Blacks
- Commission for LGBT People
- Commission for Women
- Council for Diversity and Inclusion
- Office of Multicultural Student Life
- Office of Equity and Diversity
- Pride Center
- Safe Zone at UT
- Student Government Association’s Diversity Affairs Page
- Title IX Office