"The UT MPH program contributed to my professional success in that it allows me to take advantage of health education opportunities with patients. I am more aware of teachable moments."
- Kenetra Hix, MPH
Department of Public Health
At UT, the graduate public health programs prepare students to be competent, future public health leaders. Our MPH program has been accredited since 1969, making it the first nationally accredited program outside a School of Public Health. We also formed Tennessee's first Academic Health Department, with the purpose of bridging knowledge, improving health. The UT graduate programs are distinguished by the practical experience students gain through community-based class projects, volunteering opportunities, and well-matched field placements.
In The News
MPH Comprehensive Exam Date Announced for Spring 2015 - Details here.
Summer 2015 Classes Announced
The following three classes will be offered for the summer 2015 semeseter
(classtimes not yet set)
- PUBH 510, Enviromental Health Science - Dr. J. Chen
- PUBH 540, Principles of Epidemiology - Dr. P. Terry
- PUBH 580, Special Topics - U.S. Healthcare Delivery System: Organization & Financing- Dr. C. Myers
Univ. of TN MPH Students Win the 1st Annual TPHA Student Video Challenge
- TPHA held its first annual "Student Video Challenge" this year asking students from universities across the state to submit a 2 minute video showing what public health is in their communities and through their eyes.
- A big congratulations to Claire Mason and Yoonwon (Yoonie) Jung for winning the grand prize in the first annual Student Video Challenge. They will be recognized and receive a $100 check at the East Tennessee Grand Division TPHA meeting on Friday, April 25. Their video will also be shown sometime during the TPHA Annual Meeting in September.
Recent MPH Survey Results Now Available.
- Public Health 509 - Spring 2015
- MPH Career Workshop #4
April 17, 2015, 2:30-4:30pm
RM 213, Hodges Library
Registration information coming soon.
- Spring Field Practice Presentations
Three times, three locations!
Schedule of Presenters (.pdf)
- April 24, 1:30-3:30pm
- April 27, 11:00am-1:00pm
- April 27, 2:30-4:30pm
- Public Health Summer Academy
June 15-19, 2015
Information Sheet - includes course descriptions, eligibility, & how to apply(.pdf)
Supervisor Approval Form (.pdf)
More information here.
Help support the
Dept. of Public Health
& our students with your designated giving.
Our Graduate Programs
We have a competitive PhD program in Health Behavior/Health Education with funded assistantships available.
Todd French is an MPH student in the Veterinary Public Health concentration. He is also an active duty veterinarian and major in the U.S. Army Veterinary Corps. His path to the University of Tennessee was long, winding, and unconventional.
MPH Field Practice in Action
MPH students convert academic theory to public health practice by completing a 360-hour Field Practice in a community health setting. The field practice provides a bridge for students to join a growing talented and competent public health workforce. More Info
“Cultural competence is an essential skill for health care providers!" (more)
Shambrekia Wise, MPH
Health Insurance Specialist
Centers for Medicare & Medicad Services
Dept. of Health and Human Services
MPH (HPA), Class of 2010
Our graduate programs will provide you with the knowledge, skills and abilities to achieve your future goals. Our alumni have careers and various public health arenas such as community health, international health and hospital administration. See where our alumni are today.
Read about the achievements from a sampling of our alumni here.